Monday, August 16, 2010

Nerds and power tools

Daniel is good at bowling.  Really good - he bowled for his high school varsity bowling team and he was kind of the team captain.  He knows about lane patterns and finger grips and he can make the ball do that magic curve halfway down the lane like a pro. 

I, on the other hand, took bowling as a summer class in high school to get out of regular phys-ed.  I'm not what you'd call...good at sports.  Or anything requiring more coordination than showering.  But I figured, hey, bowling is inside in the air-conditioning, and mostly based on luck anyways, right?  Plus any class that lasts six weeks rather than a whole semester is fine by me.  I finished that class satisfied that I had dodged the PE requirement, and certain that I would never bowl again for the rest of my life.  Seriously.  Most awkward sport ever.

Ever since he and I met, I have not been able to give up teasing him for his choice of nerdy, awkward hobby (never mind the fact that we were both in college marching band).  This hasn't been enough to keep him from doing bowling leagues and weekend tournaments because apparently there are a LOT of people in Wichita who love bowling (need more proof there's nothing to do in Wichita?).

Anyways.  This weekend was another such one-day tournament.  I would have gone to watch, but Hollie wanted a nap instead, and refused to be reasoned with (I admit I didn't try very hard).

Out of 37 participants, Daniel came in...

FIFTH!!!

I've abruptly gone from teasing to the proudest wife in history.  This is so cool!!!  It doesn't hurt that he won a little money, too.  But that's beside the point.  :)

Honestly, though, it's nothing less than I expected.  ;)

You're wondering, what does this have to do with power tools?  Nothing, but I do have something to say about them.  Daniel did something cool this weekend, and so did I.

Back story - We're in the process of finishing our basement.  When we moved in, there were walls framed in, and some of the electrical work was done, but that was it.  We're going to have a contractor help us out with the bathroom and installing some carpet, but we are doing a lot ourselves.

Actually, Daniel is doing a lot of it himself.  So far my only contribution has been going to Lowe's with him a few times.  I felt really bad about this, because when he's home he's rather be relaxing, and here I am itching to help out.  But he's the one who knows how to use tools and what kind of wood we need and which walls are load-bearing and all of that, and for most tasks it would take just as long to explain to me as it would to just do it himself.

This weekend I finally got to do something.  And yes, it involved power tools.  I got to measure eleven (11!) two-by-fours to various lengths and cut them using a circular saw.  Oh my goodness, it was fun!

Never mind that this afternoon I realized I had measured three of them incorrectly and cut them too short.  I called Daniel at work and told him my mistake, but he said he could fix it.

Honestly, though, it's nothing less than I expected.  ;)  

No comments:

Post a Comment