Friday, April 1, 2011

Completely forgot...

Alternately titled: "She's going to hate me later for writing this"

We're using the potty!  By "we" I mean Hollie, obviously.  Daniel and I have been throwing the idea around for awhile, debating whether or not she was ready, and last Monday (like almost two weeks ago), I decided to just go for it.  I knew it was a bad idea, because Uncchris was arriving in a few days, and they say you're not supposed to start when you've any kind of additional circumstance (illness, remodeling the house, new baby, etc.)...but really, as in all things: if you wait for the "right time" it's never going to happen.  So I went for it.

Day one was a success!  When she woke up I gave her an hour or so to eat breakfast and wake up all the way, then took off her diaper, and didn't put another on another (which she didn't mind at all).  She enjoyed it for a while, but after about two hours she started doing "the dance" and going somewhat frantically from one activity to another.  I brought the potty out into the living room, and gently asked her occasionally if she wanted to sit down and use it.  For a few months now, we've been reading a book about using the potty, so she was already familiar with the "terminology" (haha).  She actually did sit down a few times, bringing a book or toy with her, but always got distracted and got up.  She asked for a diaper a few times, and so I would start to slowly get it ready, but each time she changed her mind and said "No! No diaper!"

Finally, around 12:30 in the afternoon, after roughly four hours sans diaper, she sat on the potty and used it.  Amazing.

I wanted to give you the story of the first day, but I'll spare you (and future Hollie) the rest of it - suffice it to say that our record after week #1 is 5 in the potty, 3 on the carpet.  Not too shabby.  Warning, I'm gonna brag a little -- At least two of those in the potty were unprompted, in other words: I heard tinkling, came running, and found her already on the potty!  Beyond impressed.

It kind of got put on hold for the most part while Chris was here, so I'm thinking we'll be starting from square one on Monday.  Our weekends are always pretty busy, so I think we're just going to be Monday-thru-Friday potty trainers around here.  If that makes the whole process end up taking longer as a result, I'm okay with it.  She seems to have gotten the idea, at least.

Another new belly picture is up!  Next week we start the third trimester.  Crap, we really need to deciding on some names...      

No comments:

Post a Comment