Friday, June 10, 2011

A real pain in the...

...fingers.

That's my life this weekend.  My one-hour glucose tolerance test (for gestational diabetes) came back not good.  A little backstory...I took the same test while pregnant with Hollie and failed, then took the more accurate three-hour test and it was completely normal.

But this time around, because it is so late in my pregnancy, and GD nearly always means an induced early delivery...we're skipping the three-hour test and moving right along to the finger-pricking.  I get to monitor my blood sugar all weekend, and if on Monday it's all been good, I think they're going to let me stop, and we'll call that one-hour test a fluke.  If I understood correctly.  Yesterday was a bit of a whirlwind.

Besides meeting with a nurse to learn to use the meter, and a dietitian to talk about how I have to eat now, we had an ultrasound!

Everything looked great.  We got a beautiful view of the heart beating...a more detailed view than I have ever seen.  Got to count some fingers, too.  The face...reminded me instantly of the way Hollie looked in her ultrasound just days before she was born.

Daniel found out the gender...100% certain this time!  He told me afterward that he thinks I'm "going to be very happy" but of course that doesn't give me any clue whatsoever.

The other goal for the day was to determine a new due date, based on the ultrasound.  The plan was to visit our doc right afterward to discuss.  Unfortunately, by that point it was late in the day and when we arrived, he still hadn't gotten our ultrasound notes from the lab...so we left without an answer, and a new appointment for Monday.  :(  GAH.

------------------------------------------------

We had an awesome trip down to Portland last weekend to see Daniel's brother and his family.  Hollie and her cousin Juliet are so great together.  They are a little more than five months apart in age, and every time they see each other the gap seems smaller and smaller.  They have both learned to hug nicely by now, which is WOW...so cute.

At one point I watched them come across Daniel's brother's hat, and Juliet pointed it out as "Baba's hat!" which Hollie corrected - "No, Uncle T-----'s' hat".

Juliet's little brother Levi, and his enormous eyes, are beyond adorable.  Such a cutie.

The main reason for our trip was Daniel's brother's graduation from the Montessori Institute!  That sure is some cool stuff.  Congratulations, bro-in-law!

------------------------------------------------

That's all for now.  Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment