Thursday, January 6, 2011

Quick story

In church earlier this week, while rummaging happily through my purse ("burse"), Hollie found chapstick.  I took off the cap, and showed her how it just goes just on your lips.  That translated to "lower half of the face" in toddler-ese.  I let her go, since she still had a bit of a runny nose, and her poor nose and lips were pretty chapped.  It was also adorable, and she was having fun with it - including putting some on my face, too.

Anyways, before this, she had been holding on to her Alvin the chipmunk doll, so he was still sitting out on the pew.  And he had some chapped lips, apparently.

Then things evolved from adorable to very cool...she would put chapstick on herself, then on Alvin, replace the cap, take it off again, and repeat the whole process...over and over and over.

I knew that this kind of repetition is normal for lots of toddlers, and I had seen Hollie do it a few times before, but never with this many steps, and never with a toy/object that she had never used before (the chapstick).

It was funny and fascinating and baffling at the same time. What in the world is going on inside her head?  Why did she have to take the cap on and off every single time?  Of course, we will never know.  I hope I see it again, because it was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment