Saturday, July 3, 2010

Cloth diaper trial [pt 4]: Happy Heinys

No one is paying me to write about this, the opinions expressed are my own and no one else's...blah blah blah.

Can I just say, I think this is my most favorite brand name of anything...ever?  I love it.

These diapers worked great.  They didn't leak at all...during the day.  We didn't even try them at night.  Continuing to use disposables at night is sounding more and more like what we will end up doing.  With any future babies, we do plan on just using cloth right from the beginning so they'll be used to a more bulky diaper at night...but Hollie is just too old at this point to make that kind of change.

She seemed fairly comfortable in them.  The only thing that seemed to bug her was the velcro straps that close in the front - they are very wide (top to bottom) and thick (front to back).  Just like wearing a very wide belt that cuts into your belly when you sit down.

Otherwise, it is a pretty trim diaper, fitting into most of her clothes, which is a big plus.

I also loooooved this print!  She looked like Pebbles from the Flintstones!!!  I wish she had enough hair for a little ponytail.  sigh...



 And who says you can't just park it in the bathroom to read a book?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what it all comes down to.  

When we started all this, I assumed that our best option was to go with one-size diapers that can adjust all the way from newborn to toddler size.  So that's what I ordered for our little trial.  However, we're worried that with this style of diaper we're sacrificing a good fit, and by going with "sized" diapers instead: small, medium, large...we'll get the diaper that Hollie's most comfortable in.  And that's what's most important.  That and saving $$$.

We are going to return the Fuzzibunz and the Happy Heinys, but we stained the bumGenius so we're keeping it.  I kind of liked that one the best, anyways.  :) 

So we're back to square one with a new trial.  I just ordered two more diapers: an "all-in-one" diaper, as well as a "prefold" with a cover.  

The all-in-one, or AIO, is like a pocket diaper (like the three we just tried) except that the insert doesn't go inside a pocket, it just snaps into the inside of the diaper.  Don't worry, there will be pictures.  I ordered this particular brand because it's supposedly the best fitting, "trimmest" diaper out there.

The prefold is almost unchanged since your grandmother used them (except that you don't use pins anymore).  They're basically squares of super-absorbent material that fold into a diaper shape.  Instead of pins, you secure it with an amazing little contraption called a Snappi.  Then you put a cover over it, which is just like the waterproof outer layer of a bumGenius or any of the other ones.  These, I think, allow the most customizable fit, which is what we're looking for. 

Can't wait for them to get here!  If these don't work out, I think we're just going to throw in the diaper towel on this, and, like I said earlier, start our next baby in cloth right from the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. We're going with prefolds and covers for the new baby until s/he fits into the fuzzi bunz and bumgenius we have. I'm interested to see how they work for you. We're picking them b/c they're super cheap. Oh, and I got your message - will call you soon (today or tomorrow)!

    ReplyDelete