Friday, July 30, 2010

Independent napper

Hollie is funny about her naptime and bedtime habits.

At bedtime, I stay with her until she falls asleep.  This is a capital-m Must.  She will not go to sleep unless someone is there.

At naptime in the afternoon, it's the opposite.  As she gets sleepy, I sometimes try to lure her into the bedroom to read some books (which is the last part of our bedtime routine) but she fights and fights and whines and whines and just refuses to relax.

However, sometimes when I notice the onset of drowsiness around noon or so, I sneak into the bedroom to fold some laundry or clean the bathroom.  [To be clear, I always have an eye on her, or at least an ear]  When I do this, she nearly always finds her way to her bed and into dreamland within like two minutes, without so much as a peep.

This just baffles me!  I cannot come up with a plausible explanation for why she would need to be lulled to sleep at night, but need to be on her own in order to nap in the afternoon.  I certainly didn't teach her.     

Maybe this is one of those things that I'll think about in a few years and it will all make sense, but for now, I guess if it works...it works.

1 comment: